I am excited and pleased to tell you that I recently had an article on online dating safety published in The Single’s Warehouse e-zine, Smarter Dating. When you’ve got some time, you can read it here. Now, on to this week’s topic: Long distance relationships.
Regardless of the reason for separation, long distance relationships are no piece of cake; they’re stressful...very stressful. Lucky for you, I have experience in this department and am willing to share a few tips that will make things easier while you’re away from your significant other.
- Video Chat. In a long distance relationship technology is your friend! If your laptop or desktop didn’t come with a built-in camera, invest in one. Video chatting doesn’t make up for the fact that you can’t be with your honey, but it definitely helps alleviate the pain and frustration that comes with being separated.
- Send care packages. Since you can’t be together all the time, send packages with trinkets that will remind your boo of you. Try sending home-baked cookies, candles, t-shirts, framed pictures, a book, or an item that has significance in your relationship.
- Mail letters. Some might say letters and postcards are outdated, but to heck with those people! I love getting mail. Okay, I love receiving mail that isn’t bills. Letters are a simple way to show that special someone that you’re thinking of them. Don’t forget to seal it with a kiss!
- Schedule a weekly date night. With every relationship date nights are important, especially when you can’t physically be together. Watch the same movie on Netflix or the same television show each week as you’re video chatting.
- Download a “couples app” on your smartphone. Until last week I didn’t realize they existed, but they do, and they’re adorable. My boyfriend and I downloaded the app “Avocado”, and we love it. In these couples apps you can only interact with your significant other, so there’s no fear of accidentally texting the wrong person a lovey dovey message or that sexy pic.
- Solidify plans for the next time you see each other. Being in a long distance relationship is hard, but not knowing when you’ll see each other again is even worse. Ease the pain by making definite plans for the next time you’ll be together.
Long distance relationships are also expensive. Come back for my next post to learn how to save money when you’re in a long distance relationship.
You can also find me on Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest.